More about Beecholme


Beecholme is also the first postwar "mixed development" housing scheme in Hackney, with a mixture of houses and flats with the taller block having five storeys and containing one-bedroom and bedsit accommodation. It is featured in Volume 15 of Hackney History and was the site of Beecholme House, the family home of Maj. John André (d. 1780), who was executed as a British spy in the American War of Independence.

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Councillor Linda Kelly explains

In a lengthy article in the most recent Hackney Citizen, Linda has expanded on why she left the Labour group, condemning the "authoritarian atmosphere" and lack of tolerance of political dissent.

In contrast, Linda says: "I’m in a Tory group and it’s not a whipped vote. You can decide how you want to vote. If I decide I’m not happy with things, I am going to vote the way my conscience tells me to.
“I don’t think I’ve found nirvana in the Tory group – I don’t think you find nirvana in any group – but I believe I have a voice here and I’m going to use it.”
I have commented on the page that Linda is there for us as always with advice and help and this morning alone has dealt with an issue affecting several residents on this one estate. 


I should add that Labour Leabridge councillors Ian Rathbone and Deniz Oguzklani are also available when needed and have also been working extremely hard on behalf of local residents (often doing very long hours), tackling everything from issues of ASB to planning and education.










No comments: